Monday, January 25, 2010

2009 CFDA/ Vogue Fashion Fund Awards




The best and brightest vie for the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund's grand prize: cash and invaluable advice from industry insiders. Florence Kane meets the contenders. Photographed by Norman Jean Roy.
Sophie Theallet winner

"I love when people ask me where I'm going for vacation," says Sophie Theallet. "I say, 'I'm going to Africa!' " In truth, the French-born, Brooklyn-based designer has been so busy with her label lately that she's stayed close to home. No matter. "When you love your job, it's better than a holiday!" She does take a trip of sorts with her spring collection of tribal prints and hot desert hues inspired by the continent. Theallet worked for Jean Paul Gaultier and Azzedine Alaïa, and had a line called Motu Tane before launching her own collection of beautifully made dresses three years ago.

No comments: